Inspiring children and adults to be passionate readers and writers.
Founded in 1952, SoLit has evolved into a literary arts hub for Chattanooga. Previously known as Southern Lit Alliance, the mission is to deliver literary arts experiences that engage young people and adults in a life-long love of reading, writing, and community conversation. Each year, SoLit reaches 5,000 children and adults with programs such as literature festivals, writing workshops, book therapy groups, writing contests for children and outreach to jails and youth in underserved communities. We see literature has the incomparable power to inspire, connect, and uplift. SoLit shares stories that matter.
301 E. 11th St. Suite 301, Chattanooga, TN 37403
At SoLit, we value literature because it:
- Provides life-long learning
- Improves critical thinking skills
- Improves empathy for others
- Educates on social issues
- Provides cultural literacy
- Is the most accessible art form as a creator or audience
- Makes better writers